Thursday 29 August 2013

The Imaginary Adventures of an Umbrelle

              I was made in the Swadeshi Umbrella Factory, Kolkata, of such materials as steel, bamboo, cloth and other things. When I was ready, I was packed. along with ninety-nine other companions, in a wooden box and placed in a goods train. After about three weeks’ journey in a closed box, we reached the shop of a general merchant, in Chandni Chowk. Delhi.
              The merchant opened the box and inspected all of us. He found that some of us had been damaged during the journey, while others were all right. He made up his mind to sell the damage ones very cheap. I arrived in good condition and the merchant was struck by my neat and tidy look.
              I remained in the merchant’s shop for about a week when an old man came and bought me. Next morning, the old man took me along with him during his morning walk. All of a sudden a fierce storm rose and rain began to fall in torrents. He spread me out over his head. But so strong was the wind that it blew me off in spite of the strong hold of the feeble old man. The old man ran after me while I flew from bush to bush. After a hard chase, he was at last able to catch me. He again spread me over his bead, and again the wind blew away the entire cloth. I was badly damaged. I was, however, repaired the next day. But now was hot the same beautiful thing as before.
              Now I lie in the corner of the old man’s house, without being used by anybody. At times, the little children pay rue a visit and play with me. All my bones and ribs are jutting out. So much changed am T that you can hardly believe that I was once a beautiful, charming umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment